Scott W. Faulkner
Employee Retirement & Benefit Plans
Wills & Estate Planning
Probate & Trusts
Businesses & Corporations
Federal Government Contracting
Estate & Local Taxes
Estate & Gift Taxes
Guardians & Conservators
Mr. Faulkner’s practice is centered on tax, corporate law, and employee benefits law, including various aspects of the Employee Retirement and Income Security Act (ERISA). He advises emerging and established businesses on tax issues, government contracting, mergers and acquisitions, and securities law. He advises individuals about retirement planning, estate planning, and marital planning, among other related issues.
In addition to being an attorney, Mr. Faulkner is also a certified public accountant (CPA).
Honors and Awards
- Rated BV by the Martindale-Hubbell Legal Directory. A BV rating indicates that a lawyer’s peers rank him at a distinguished level of professional excellence.
- “The Tort of Negligent Supervision and Personal Liability,” Alabama Defense Lawyers Association Journal, April 2006 (with George W. Royer).
- “§ 1983 Claims and State Remedy Requirements,” For the Defense, August 2005 (with George W. Royer).
- “Still on the Backburner: Reforming the Judicial Selection Process in Alabama,” Alabama Law Review (2001).
- American Bar Association
Corporate Law Section
- Alabama Bar Association
- Huntsville-Madison County Bar Association
- LL.M., Taxation, 2010, New York University, New York, NY
Editor, Tax Law Review
- J.D., summa cum laude, 2001, University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, AL
Order of the Coif
Hugo Black Scholar
Dean M. Leigh Harrison Scholar
Who's Who Among American Law Students
- M.Acc., Accounting, 2013, University of Alabama in Huntsville, Huntsville, AL
- B.A., 1996, Stanford University, Stanford, CA
Varsity Baseball Team
- Alabama, 2001
- U.S. Tax Court, 2012
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- United States District Courts
Northern District of Alabama
Middle District of Alabama
Southern District of Alabama
- All Alabama State Courts
- Board of Directors, Schools Foundation, 2011–2013
- Board of Directors, Thrive Alabama (formerly Aids Action Coalition), 2008–2011
- Board of Directors, Huntsville Symphony Orchestra, 2011–2014
- Rotary Club, Decatur, AL, 2014–
- Law Clerk for Judge Edward Carnes, United States Circuit Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit, Atlanta, GA (2001-2002).
- Graduate study at Yale University in pursuit of a Ph.D. in American and English legal history (2002–2003).