W. Graham Burgess
Commercial & Industrial Real Estate
Real Estate Financing
Real Estate Disputes
Contracts, Agreements & Commercial Transactions
Planning, Zoning, Subdivision & Land Use
As a member of the firm’s Real Estate Practice Group, Mr. Burgess’ practice is concentrated on commercial lending, real estate lending, secured transactions, loan restructuring, and real estate construction and development. His clients include traditional and non-traditional lenders, private equity investors and commercial borrowers whom he advises in the areas of commercial loan procurement, restructuring, and workouts. Mr. Burgess routinely advises clients about the acquisition and disposition of both developed and undeveloped real estate. He represents commercial landlords and tenants in the negotiation of office, retail, and ground leases. He also advises clients about general contract work, entity formation, equity reorganization, and dissolution.
Honors and Awards
- Mr. Burgess is rated by Martindale-Hubbell as BV Distinguished ®.
- Named a Rising Star by SuperLawyers.com for 2011, 2017, 2018, and 2019 in the areas of banking, real estate, and business and corporate law.
- Lead counsel to developer in acquisition and development of $200-million, 2,000-room hospitality project in Orlando, FL.
- Lead counsel to developer in acquisition and development of mortgage and mezzanine- financed hospitality projects in Charlotte, NC; Brentwood, TN; and Destin, FL.
- Lead counsel for development of 200,000-sq.-ft. adaptive-reuse project for retail, restaurant, office, and entertainment spaces.
- Lead counsel to developer in acquisition and development of Hilton Curio in downtown Huntsville, AL.
- Lead counsel to developer in acquisition and development of 215,000-sq.-ft. adaptive reuse project for office, retail, and restaurant spaces.
- Lead counsel to lender in $18 million construction loan of Marriot AC Hotel.
- Local counsel and title agent to developer of $100 million multi-family living and office development in Huntsville, AL.
- Served as lead counsel for the developer in public-private project for converting a municipal parking garage into a retail facility.
- Served as lead counsel to lender in $25 million mixed-use (retail, multifamily, and hospitality) project.
- Served as lead counsel to lender in construction of $24 million outpatient surgery and medical office facility.
- Represented lender in $6 million workout.
- American Bar Association
- Alabama Bar Association
- Huntsville-Madison County Bar Association
President, Huntsville-Madison County Young Lawyers, 2006-2007
- J.D., 2004, University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, AL
Senior Editor, Alabama Law Review
Justice, Law School Honor Court
Farrah Law Society
Christian Legal Society
- B.S., 2001, Birmingham-Southern College, Birmingham, AL
Varsity Baseball Team
All Alabama state courts
- Downtown Huntsville, Inc., Board of Directors, 2021-present
- Advisory Board Member, Huntsville Rehabilitation Foundation, Inc., 2017-2019
- Deacon, Christ Presbyterian Church, 2010-present
- Huntsville Committee of 100, Young Professionals Division, 2007-2008
- Board Member, James A. Lane Boys and Girls Club, 2005-2007
- Member, Alabama State Board of Directors for Renasant Bank, 2017-present
- Graduate, Leadership Huntsville Madison County Connect Class 5, 2007
- Minor League Baseball Player, St. Paul Saints, St. Paul, MN, 2001
© 2015, 2021